Monday, February 08, 2016

Walking in circles...

...can get you right where you need to be. Last night I started a small group study at church based off the book, "The Circle Maker", by Mark Batterson. Mark uses his experience of starting a church in Washington DC to explain how utter dependence on God lead him to walk a prayer circle around DC.

I confess that my prayer life is one of my weakest points in my spiritual journey. I'm not sure if it is the confusion I feel between it being a sacred conversation with the Almighty God and the thought that it's as intimate as talking to my Father God. It probably comes down to the lies of Satan that I have allowed to cloud the issue and I am hoping the truths taught in this group will allow me to take a deeper step into prayer.

One point that stood out was "Don't be afraid to pray boldly". There is no greater tragedy than the prayer that goes unanswered because it goes unasked. Hannah & Elizabeth boldly prayed for a baby, blind men in Jericho boldly asked to be given sight, even Christ himself boldly prayed for a different way than His death in the garden. Boldly pray but be willing to accept God's best.

I shared how sometimes we barely have to whisper a prayer before God rushes in with an answer yet other times we can pray for the same thing for years before God's answer is more than "Wait". 18 years ago God provided a job for me before I was even looking for one. My life changed totally withing a 2 week time frame. Yet 5 years ago when I started looking for a new job in the library field it took almost 3 years, countless resumes, a dozen in person interviews and a couple of phone or Skype interviews before God's perfect plan was ready. Now that I've been in my newest job for over 2 years I can look back and see how God worked it all out so that I would end up with a job I enjoy 95% of the time, a new church family that encourages me to grow deeper in my relationship with Christ, close to my best friend for times when we need each other the most, and to the place of utter dependence on God during some personal struggles because family isn't close enough to lean on.


Whatever your need or Godly desire, pray circles around it and claim God's promises. If you are interested in reading Mark Batterson's book, check your local library or Christian bookstore. 

No comments: