Tuesday, February 02, 2016

A trip down memory lane...

...can lead to the funny farm. I was never one to keep a diary and attempts I have made at writing a journal have all fallen short of lasting a week. I don't know what it is about writing a blog that lasted a lot longer but even with a 3 year gap between 2013-2016 this blog goes back quite a ways.

Looking back at some of the things I have written makes me realize that while time passes on and life happens, there are a lot of things that are still the same. I still read mainly romances, I still struggle with making wise eating choices and I still feel like my life is boring most of the time.

I guess the best way to cure a boring life is to step out of your comfort zone. This is a really scary thought for me because the last time I talked to God about expanding my comfort zone (Notice I said expand and not take me out of) I ended up in Macon, Georgia working at Hephzibah Children's Home for over 2 years. One of my goals for 2016 is to once again try to venture out of my comfort zone. In areas of work that means developing new programs within the community. At church that means being willing to serve in areas I may not be comfortable in. And for my personal life it may be as stressful as leaving the house when I don't need to leave.

On the flip side, as George R. R. Martin said, "A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." My fictional lives are awesome and the only time they bother with my comfort zone is when I'm reading a book for our Book Club.

No comments: