Thursday, August 06, 2009

When reading isn't a joy

Yes I know that doesn't seem possible, as much as I love reading you'd think it always brings me joy, but it doesn't. Textbooks are one example. Here I am with a Masters Degree and I don't believe I ever read on complete textbook. There were some that got more open book time than others, but it was usually just what I had to read for an assignment or test. It is probably a good thing my short term memory was sharp back then or I would never have passed those classes.

Now that I'm a librarian sometimes I have to read things that I do not enjoy. First let me expound on more time on why I love to read. Reading to me is a major escape. I love meeting new characters and experience things through them that I will never experience in my own life. But here is a major issue, I WANT HAPPY ENDINGS!!!!!!! Yes even though the book may have death, terror, illness and struggles the good guys are suppose to triumph and the bad guys get what they deserve. Love always prevails and relationships don't end in divorce, death or betrayal. I don't look for books that are going to disturb me or make me dwell on issues that can depress or divide. That is why I don't enjoy reading those types of books that make good book discussion choices. I now have 3 of those types sitting on my to be read pile. They are all nonfiction and cover topics of Sudanese refugees, a daughters experience with an Alzheimer father, and a history and search for rural Michigan. I don't believe I will enjoy reading these but I know they are books that will impact me in ways that I will never forget them and that is probably a good thing.

No comments: