Tuesday, March 08, 2016

I've been discriminated against...

...and I'm okay with it. First, some background information. This idea started to grow after reading a review on a Sheriff Departments Facebook page about how "some people are disliked and discriminated in this city". I started thinking that I could agree with them but probably not in the way they expected. 
I abide by the laws. I do not intentionally speed, and cruise control helps keep me from unintentionally speeding. I don't take or distribute illegal substances. I do not destroy personal or public property nor do I consume anything that would alter or impair my sound judgement. Because of this, I have not had many encounters with brave men and women in law enforcement. No tall dark and handsome man, in uniform, has come to give me a ride in his cruiser or flashed me on the highway. I am okay with that and to be honest I would have a major panic attack if one did. 

I also believe I am discriminated against when it comes to retail therapy. Just because I like to eat and hate to exercise I am unable to just go into many clothing store and buy cute and affordable clothing. I actually have to do the majority of my clothes shopping online where you can't try things on and see how they look before paying. 
Have I gone protesting in the streets? Have I called for a national boycott of Khols? Have I taken the fight to court demanding that all clothing retailers sell all their styles and products in all sizes from 0-50? No. Because I am a reasonable person that understands that no one business or company can or should provide everything for everybody. (Amazon comes the closest but that's a different post) 

America has free enterprise and even though some people claim differently, I believe that business owners have the right to sell the products and services they choose. Because of this, if you don't like Big Macs you have the right, and the opportunity, to to buy Whoppers. If you love cupcakes but won't eat animal products, you can splurge at a Vegan Bakery. If you don't agree with the charitable contributions Home Depot makes, you have the option to shop at Menards or Lowes.  

In a society that is quick to cry "discrimination" let's be sure that we just don't want our own way at the expense of someone else's rights. 

No comments: