Thursday, July 14, 2011

Do your friends...

...really know who you are? I would hope for the most part yes but technology and social media can raise some questions. I do a book blog for the library with the help of the staff. "Let's Talk Books" is designed to be a reader's advisory tool to help readers find a good book. We publish it on Wordpress and it use to automatically post on my facebook page. Yesterday it stopped & I couldn't figure out what happened.
Well today I start research and find this handy facebook app NetworkedBlogs and attempt to set that up to post my blog not only to my facebook page but also the library's page and twitter account. It was relatively simple to set up but it requires authentication that you are the blogs author. To do this I had to send requests to 5 facebook friends who would verify that, yes I write the blogs. The library's blog wasn't too difficult I just hit up the library staff but for my personal one I had to select 5 other friends. This is where the problem arose because only a very few of my family and friends read my blog or even know I have one. (Shh, this blog is top secret) So I selected the few that I knew had read my blog in the past and my sister who faithfully keeps track of it, but then I had to think of who on my friends list of 174 people know I have a blog or would be willing to verify I was the author even if they didn't know. So I selected some that I have good gaming report with and added a post asking them to verify.
Now after all that I have to think...do I really want my blog on my facebook. Granted I don't often blog anything that is embarrassing or offensive but having it show up on my facebook could draw in more readers who would then learn more about how boring and routine my life is. But then I did start this blog so many years ago as a way to share my bogus wisdom and now I offer it all to my facebook friends should they want to read it. (That is if enough friends now me and verify that yes, Cheryl Lucas is just the type to write a blog called "Brains, Books, and Bogus Thoughts")

1 comment:

Jeanette Frump @lefrumpette said...

heeheee, ooops i signed up for networked blogs too. i don't know if it will work as i only asked 2 people to verify. well, it appears i can write a blog, but i can't read directions.