Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Are you comfortable...

...in your own skin? That was the question of the night last night at my church board meeting. Understanding the intent of the question I was hesitant to answer. Yes I'm comfortable in my leadership role at BWC, Yes I'm comfortable with the ministries and direction of BWC, and Yes I have adjusted and have become comfortable with all the changes that come when a church goes through a change of leadership.

But am I comfortable in my skin? Absolutely not!! I have too much skin for one thing because there is WAY TOO MUCH BODY for it to cover and another I don't care all that much for personal contact. I can only think of one person outside of my family that I'm comfortable hugging (Luv ya Haze) and even in the family, don't ask me to hug those not born into the family. Even as the nephs and nieces grow up that level of comfort changes, (so I hug as much as I can when they are young).

Maybe it's my spinster ways that puts too much importance on hugging and hand holding but I just don't have that comfort level with them to not be thinking "I don't want to be touching or touched right now" every time those touches occur. So how do you get comfortable with something like this? You know if you're afraid of heights and want to conquer that fear there are lots of theories on how to conquer those fears. Often these theories include a jump in and deal with it option. So I ask is that possible for my uncomfortable phobia? Should I start going around and hugging everyone I know? Should I hold hands with anyone I may be walking with? Can I just stay uncomfortable in my skin?

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

I'll just throw this out there for you to ruminate on...if you aren't happy with the way you look, the way your skin fits your body. You will never want other people to see your skin, or feel your skin. When you look beyond how you feel about it, and see how the other person may need that "personal" touch, it may be easier.

PS. people will not see or judge you any differently when they feel your "skin", as opposed to what they see when they look at your "skin"

But here are a few virtual *hugs* for you!!!