Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I'm a mess...

... but I don't want to admit it. Between Sunday School lesson and devotions, God has really been hitting me with the truth that it is only through his love and grace that good things exist in my life. Contrary to today's world view there is now 'power within us' to change our lives unless we have Christ within us! Everything from depression, success and weight-loss cannot be finished without God's help because our own strength is very temporary and weak when compared to God's.
I struggle to rely on God because I have always bought into the adage "God helps those who help themselves" and believed that I was able to do enough that God could use his 'help' for those who needed it more. I'm find that the older I get the less strength and determination I have to 'help myself. I take on too many responsibilities and then try to do it all in my own power rather than plugging into God's power supply.
I know I need God's help but why is it so difficult to rely on him rather than to 'do it myself'? I often feel like Paul.. "That which I want to do I do not do, but what I don't want to do I find myself doing..." I need to glory in my weakness go God's strength can be glorified! I need to do this and rely more on God and hopefully I can find the way to do that before God takes serious measures to make me learn it.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Good to see you posting again.... and such deep thoughts to share! If you find the time to check out Greenville Comm. Church's website and listen to Joel Heron's message (podcast) from the last 2 Sunday's it might encourage you!! His topic is prayer... coming before God as we ARE not as we WISH we could be before going to Him.
Love you!!