Monday, August 15, 2011

Lay up your treasures in heaven...

...but cherish the memories on earth.

My Dad informed our church congregations that 2 weeping willow trees were going to be taken down. These trees have been a part of the Brockway Wesleyan Church for decades and for many it is going to be difficult seeing them gone. I have many memories of climbing the corner willow tree after school. (This was back before I really understood that climbing trees in school uniforms wasn't a really good idea)
The tree had this wonderful branch that came out and then curved up far enough from the trunk to create a swing like seat. This was usually as far as I went as I wasn't super fond of heights even as a kid. Others, especially the boys, would climb right up as far as they could.
It will be sad to see these trees come down, but it reminds us to lay up our treasures in heaven where wind, storms and rot cannot uproot them, and to cherish memories of special times gone by.

No comments: