Friday, January 07, 2011

Free time...

...and how we spend it. Isn't the whole concept of 'free time' suppose to mean that you can spend it doing whatever you want? That's what I think. Maybe the problem is that I claim more time as 'free' than I should. I work 40 hours a week, I sleep about 40 hours a week, I give 5-8 hours to church ministry. The rest of my time I like to think of as free. There is a few hours that I have to dedicated to grocery shopping and cooking and very little housekeeping but the rest should be free to do what I want. (I am an adult after all) Being single I don't have kids or a spouse to take care of, I don't have pets to feed, walk or train, it's just me and I enjoy my free-time!
What do I do with this free time? Mainly I read. Sometimes I read with the TV on but it usually is just for the noise because it is mainly reruns anyway. There are a few shows that I dedicate time to just watching and only read during the commercials. I enjoy watching movies but not many of them have really impressed me lately. Of course the other thing I like doing during all this 'free' time is eat and my body shows it. There are people in my life who feel I should be doing something more productive with my free time. Things like exercising, more housekeeping, getting out of the house, and spending time with people instead of by myself. Isn't the concept of 'free' mean that you don't have to force yourself to do something you can just do what you want? So what if I am a reading addict who doesn't like to leave the house. I have to leave for work, church, shopping and banking. Isn't that enough?

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Hahahaha !! There really is no such thing as free time in my house. How's this, we split ur free time hours & give me half. That way u may feel only half as guilty for spending ur free time doing whatever u want to do!