Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Never give up...

...never surrender! Unless....
Unless what! What is it that makes us 'give up' what is that final straw that makes us throw in the towel? I've heard that quitters never win but I also know that if you quit while you're ahead then you finish a winner.
Is it frustration, distress, pain, boredom, tiredness, deprivation, WHAT is it that makes us 'give up'? I have started soul searching this question because I want to give up and surrender to my eating addiction. I'm tired of having to make 'good for me' choices, I'm frustrated with having to tell myself no when it comes to foods I know taste good and I enjoy, I'm bored with my routine but don't have the interest or motivation to find a new one. I am also distressed that if I do 'give up' those 80 pound I manged to get off will race back on with all their friends they made while they were gone. (Several are already back but I hope it is for a short visit)
So what do I do now? Where do I find the determination to "Never give up...Never surrender"? Is it in willpower? My willpower disappears at the first pack of mint chocolate cookies. Is it motivation? I can't find any motivation before or after a full work day. Is it in setting goals to accomplish? Goals are nice but I have to believe I can attain them before it will change my behavior. Is it in counseling and therapy? I don't know I haven't tried that yet.
I think of other things I've accomplished in my life where I didn't give up. I earned a BA degree in 4 years when many people were taking 5-6 years for their 4 year degree. I earned my MLIS degree while working full time and without taking out any loans. I haven't had big relationship accomplishments because that's another area where never starting is easier than giving up or failing. I have managed to lose 80 pound in just over a year and if stop giving up I can do it again!

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

What can I do to help you get out of a "detrimental" routine? Can I make some meals for you? Also, to help with the same ol', same ol' foods... emealz.com has a program for $5 a month. They will make up menus (for 2 people) for you. You can pick your store and they do have meals that work with the points system. Check them out. It's recommended by Dave Ramsey. Let me know what I could do to help (80 lbs is too much to "lose" I don't want you to go back)